Carbon monoxide leak at Washington County Detention Center cause - WFLA News Channel 8

Carbon monoxide leak at Washington County Detention Center causes inmates to pass out

Posted: Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • April Mugshots

    April Mugshots

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 11:48 AM EDT2014-04-15 15:48:25 GMT
    James SiebenthalJames Siebenthal
    The following are mugshots and charges of individuals arrested between April 1-4 by the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office.
    The following are mugshots and charges of individuals arrested between April 1-4 by the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office.
  • Trio reels in 800+ lb mega mako shark that barely fits in pickup truck

    Trio reels in 800+ lb mega mako shark that barely fits in pickup truck

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:43 PM EDT2014-04-18 02:43:38 GMT
    Normally when you do a story about a shark you do a stand-up on the beach but not this time.  See these fishermen don't want to tell me where their fishing hole is.  It's not just to protect their spot
    Normally when you do a story about a shark you do a stand-up on the beach but not this time.  See these fishermen don't want to tell me where their fishing hole is.  It's not just to protect their spot
  • Reality TV show "Southern Justice" follows Sullivan Co. Sheriff's Office

    Reality TV show "Southern Justice" follows Sullivan Co. Sheriff's Office

    A new television show is putting a local sheriff's office in the national spotlight. 
    A new television show is putting a local sheriff's office in the national spotlight. 
WASHINGTON COUNTY, TN (WJHL) -

A carbon monoxide leak at the Washington County Detention Center caused several inmates to get sick and pass out.

Sheriff Ed Graybeal tells News Channel 11 that in the middle of Saturday night, several inmates passed out and had nausea and headaches.

In this News Channel 11 exclusive, we're told detention center officials had to evacuate the cells.

EMA Director Nes Levotch said the problem was a faulty water heater, that was bought just last year, was causing carbon monoxide to leak into the cells.

Sheriff Graybeal credits the detention center for their swift action, and says 51 inmates could have died.

Officials thought there were detectors in the jail, but Sheriff Graybeal said they are now working with the commission to get them installed.

Copyright 2013 WJHL. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.