New Trayvon Martin pics released, trial delay requested - WFLA News Channel 8

New Trayvon Martin pics released, trial delay requested

Posted: Updated:
ORLANDO, FL -

WESH.com is reporting that attorneys for George Zimmerman have requested a six-week trial delay based on new evidence released by the state last week.

In a report released from the state, prosecution voice expert Alan Reich claims he has deciphered more evidence that Zimmerman voiced his intent to go after Martin.

According to WESH.com, Reich said that analysis of a call Zimmerman made to dispatch complaining that "these (expletives) always get away" continues with a phrase Zimmerman muttered under his breath, "but not on me."

Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara told WESH 2 News that an expert claiming he can make out what someone is muttering is different than voice identification, which is why he'd ask for the delay.

Zimmerman's trial is scheduled to start in June.

Also on Thursday, Zimmerman's defense attorneys released photos and text messages from 17-year-old Trayvon Martin's cell phone ahead of a hearing that will determine whether they can be used at Zimmerman's murder trial.

One of the photos shows a person who appears to be Martin blowing smoke. In other pictures, he's extending his middle finger to the camera. The photos also show a gun and what appears to be a potted marijuana plant.

In the text messages, Martin tells a friend that his mother has told him he needs to move out of her house and move in with his father since he was caught skipping school.

Prosecutors have filed a motion asking Circuit Judge Debra Nelson to prevent the photos, texts and other personal information from being used at the second-degree murder trial. The hearing is set for next Tuesday.

Zimmerman's defense attorney, Mark O'Mara told The Associated Press last week that the materials could be relevant if prosecutors put a spotlight on Martin and his character.

"If the state puts at issue Trayvon, who he was. If the state makes that an issue, we get to respond to that," O'Mara said.

Bay area attorney Tom Carey says the photos have no context, so they are not meaningful.  He thinks their release is a strategy to influence the public or a jury.

"Trials are all about fairness and equity to both sides. both sides have a lot at stake in this trial, and if the defense is trying to do an end run around the courts, it's pretty shameful" said Carey. 

Martin family Attorney Ben Crump said another big issue will come up at trial.

"The Sanford Police Department did not take a drug and alcohol analysis of George Zimmerman the night he shot Trayvon Martin in the heart. Now George Zimmerman has admitted to Detective Sereno that he was on prescription medications," Crump said.

Zimmerman is charged with fatally shooting Martin last year during a confrontation at a gated community in Sanford. He is pleading not guilty, claiming self-defense.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: @wflatampa

  • NewsMore>>

  • Ukraine insurgents reject call to quit buildings

    Ukraine insurgents reject call to quit buildings

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:41 AM EDT2014-04-18 15:41:38 GMT
    Pro-Russian militiamen who control government buildings in eastern Ukraine are showing no sign of relenting despite a deal between Moscow and Kiev.
    Dashing hopes of progress raised by a diplomatic deal in Geneva, pro-Russian insurgents who have occupied government buildings in more than 10 Ukrainian cities said Friday they will not leave them until the country's...
  • Pakistan library named 'bin Laden' as memory fades

    Pakistan library named 'bin Laden' as memory fades

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:00 AM EDT2014-04-18 15:00:57 GMT
    A spokesman for a controversial Pakistani cleric who runs an Islamic seminary for girls in the capital, Islamabad, says he has named the school's new library in honor of Osama bin Laden.
    Most didn't notice the new library at this Islamic seminary for girls near Pakistan's capital, until locals saw the paper sign in Urdu posted on its wooden door: "Library of Osama bin Laden, the Martyr."
  • Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12

    Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12

    Friday, April 18 2014 10:41 AM EDT2014-04-18 14:41:50 GMT
    An avalanche swept the slopes of Mount Everest on Friday along a route used to ascend the world's highest peak, killing at least six Nepalese guides and leaving nine more missing, officials said.
    An avalanche swept down a climbing route on Mount Everest early Friday, killing at least 12 Nepalese guides and leaving four missing in the deadliest disaster on the world's highest peak. Several more were injured.
Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.