Extra host Mario Lopez drops by News Center - WFLA News Channel 8

Extra host Mario Lopez drops by News Center

TAMPA, FL (WFLA) -

Extra host Mario Lopez made a visit to the News Center to promote his show's upcoming move to a new time slot on News Channel 8.

The 39-year-old Souther California native taped an episode of Daytime with Cyndi Edwards and long-time Extra alum Jerry Penacoli, but when it came time to do an interview for News Channel 8 there was little talk of Hollywood.

"I'm a bit of a news junkie," Lopez explained. "I always read the paper everyday, and that's probably the most consistent thing I do is read the paper, and I'm always watching news and so ironically I'm probably more well informed on stuff outside of entertainment news, and just because of what I do I know what's going on in entertainment," he said.

Truth is, Lopez is a bit of a renaissance man too. In addition to multiple TV hosting duties Lopez has a syndicated radio program, he's authored two cookbooks and is dedicated to fighting childhood obesity.

"You know I feel blessed to be doing all the things that I'm doing, and I don't take it for granted," Lopez said.

Extra moves to its new 11 a.m. time slot on April 1st.

Hillsborough deputies identify body found

Monday, September 15 2014 5:36 AM EDT2014-09-15 09:36:33 GMT
    Octavio Reyes' family membersOctavio Reyes' family members
    When Hillsborough County sheriff's deputies told Rosario Reyes her husband was dead, her first thought was "How will I explain this to my youngest children?"

Sarasota man in critical condition following early morning assault

Monday, September 15 2014 5:18 AM EDT2014-09-15 09:18:26 GMT
    Calvin Joseph White, 24, is being held without bond at the Sarasota County Jail. Calvin Joseph White, 24, is being held without bond at the Sarasota County Jail.
    A convicted felon is behind bars charged with attempted second-degree murder following an incident early Saturday morning in Sarasota.A 24-year-old man was airlifted to a nearby hospital where he is listed in critical condition. Joseph Viqueira suffered at least one stab wound to the chest.

5-year-old Tampa golfer gives pro tips on national TV

Monday, September 15 2014 4:58 AM EDT2014-09-15 08:58:32 GMT
    A little lady from Tampa featured on The Steve Harvey Show is just 5 years old.
    A little lady from Tampa featured on The Steve Harvey Show is just 5 years old.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Restaurant Ratings Most Violations: Sept. 1 - 6

Friday, September 12 2014 6:57 PM EDT2014-09-12 22:57:17 GMT
    Ever wonder what goes on in the kitchen of your favorite restaurants? We've gathered details about the 30 Tampa Bay restaurants that received the most violations during inspections conducted from September 1 to 6, 2014.

Beware of venomous puss caterpillars found in Florida

Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:00 PM EDT2014-09-02 22:00:52 GMT
    Puss caterpillar (Photo: University of Florida)Puss caterpillar (Photo: University of Florida)
    The may look fluffy and cute, but these caterpillars are anything but. Under all that fur on the puss caterpillar are venomous bristles that break off into the skin when touched by humans and cause serious pain.

Hillsborough deputies identify body found