Man arrested after violent standoff in St Pete - WFLA News Channel 8

Man arrested after violent standoff in St Pete

Posted: Updated:

Pinellas County deputies have arrested a man who barricaded himself inside a St Petersburg home for more than 5 hours, Wednesday evening.

Deputies said it started around 4:00 p.m., Wednesday afternoon, when 24-year old Martiego Wallace was walking in the area of 28th Street and 41st Avenue North.

Wallace confronted a female walking in the area, raised his shirt to display a gun and made threatening statements to the woman, accusing her and her brother of "snitching" on him, officials said.

When deputies arrived, Wallace had forced his way into a home located at 4195 28th Street North. The residents, who were home at the time, fled the area unarmed while Wallace remained inside.

Through their investigation deputies were able to identify the suspect as Wallace and began efforts to establish communication with him. All efforts were unsuccessful as Wallace would not answer the phone and remained uncooperative, deputies said.

Wallace was eventually determined to be in a bedroom of the home covered with a blanket.

Deputies say Wallace eventually left the bedroom, made his way upstairs, opened a window and jumped through it off the second floor of the home in an attempt to get away.

Deputies say a violent struggle ensued as they tried to subdue Wallace, who at one point attempted to grab one of the SWAT team member's guns.

Deputies were able to arrest Wallace shortly after 9:30 p.m. Wednesday evening. He is charged with aggravated assault with a firearm, burglary to an occupied dwelling, and resisting arrest with violence.

The suspect does have an outstanding warrant on an unrelated charge.

Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.