TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) - Washing your dirty hands is one of the best-known ways to keep germs from spreading.
But, a new study may have you thinking twice before using the hand dryer in a public bathroom.
The study published in Applied and Environmental Microbiology found that hot air hand dryers spread bathroom bacteria.
The dryers are said to suck in bacteria from flushing toilets and spread it onto your hands.
Researchers say the bacteria deposited by hand dryers can cause disease and infections.
“In most cases, patients sickened by these bacteria had a vulnerability to infection because of immunodeficiency, chronic disease, or IV drug use.”
The study was published in the April 2018 edition of the journal.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 2 lanes of NB I-75 reopen in Sarasota Co. after 2 killed in wrong-way crash
- NASA releases Hubble space telescope images for its anniversary
- NB Memorial Highway closed near Tampa Intl. Airport due to accident
- Pediatric prom night held for patients at Tampa General Hospital