Sarasota County

Man arrested for 2 of 4 Sarasota shootings

SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) - Police have arrested a man in connection with two of four recent shootings in Sarasota.

Sarasota Police Chief Bernadette DiPino announced the arrest of 32-year-old Joshua Bane on Wednesday and said he will be charged with two counts of attempted murder.

Last week, the City of Sarasota had four shootings in a period of five days. The first happened on May 8. Police say one person was shot around 10 p.m. on 23rd Street while sitting in a car. 

The next two shootings happened on May 11. Officers were first called to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Way and Pershing Avenue around 1:40 a.m. for a person who was shot. Around 8 a.m., another person was shot on 20th Street. 

The fourth shooting happened early Sunday morning in the area of Palmadelia Avenue and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Way. One man was shot and taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. 

All four of the victims are expected to survive. They range in age from 30 to 60 years old.

On Monday, detectives received information that led them to identify a possible suspect in two of the shootings. After working in shifts for more than 36 hours straight, police were able to figure out his location.

Bane was arrested on Tuttle Avenue around 9 a.m. Wednesday. Officers also recovered a firearm and ammunition from the scene.

The police chief says Bane is a six-time convicted felon with 50 prior charges.

Detectives are now continuing their investigation into the other shootings and working to determine whether Bane was connected to them or if there were other suspects involved.

"We want the criminals responsible to know that we are relentlessly pursuing every possible lead and piece of information to the fullest extent possible,” Chief DiPino said. “If you commit these crimes in the City of Sarasota, we will find you.”


More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News - Local

Video Center