PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) -- In preparations for heavy rain next week, Pinellas County residents can get sandbags at three locations now open in the county.
Pinellas County is expected to experience 5 to 7 inches of rain next week, officials said. The sandbags will be available starting Aug. 28 at noon through Monday, Aug. 29, at the following three locations:
- John Chesnut Sr. Park, 2200 East Lake Road in Palm Harbor
- Lealman Community Park, 3890 55th Ave. N. in St. Petersburg
- Taylor Park, 1100 Eighth Ave. S.W. in Largo
Sandbags will be limited to 20 per person. Material and bags will be supplied. Residents must fill their own sandbags. Shovels will be available. The sandbag distribution will be open during daylight hours.
Pinellas officials remind:
Residents are reminded that sandbags are only meant for freshwater flooding issues and are in no way useful for storm surge from a tropical storm or hurricane. Residents in non-evacuation zones who are prone to flooding from rainfall are encouraged to utilize this opportunity to prepare. Residents in evacuation zones should be checking their hurricane plans and kits and getting them ready to evacuate in the event this developing system requires additional action, such as evacuations, by local officials.
Additionally, the city of St. Petersburg will open the sandbag locations Monday August 29, from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.:
- Northeast Park, 875 62nd Avenue NE. (located at the Cardinal Drive entrance to Mangrove Bay Golf Course)
- Bartlett Park (Frank W. Pierce Recreation Center), 22nd Avenue S. between Sixth and Seventh Streets
The city will have sand, shovels, and bags. You will need to provide proof of St. Petersburg residence. Sandbags are limited to 10 bags per resident, and staff will be on hand to assist seniors and others who may be unable to fill and load their own sandbags.RELATED-
- TRACKING THE TROPICS: Invest 99-L to move into Gulf, Hurricane Gaston reforms
- Download the Storm Team 8 Weather Max app
- WFLA to launch 'Max Defender Radar 8' radar; most powerful in the world
- 2016 Storm Team 8 Hurricane Guide
- Prepare your family for a hurricane
- See the latest forecast
FAA places ground stop for all...
Florida MISSING CHILD Alert issued
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Missing college student found dead in Bermuda
- WATCH: Manatees migrate from Tampa Bay waters as warmer months near
- LIVE: Max Defender 8 Interactive Radar
- Person selling phone on OfferUp becomes victim of armed robbery in Pasco