BABSON PARK, Fla. (WFLA) -- Dozens of stolen guns are out on the streets after a home burglary in Polk County.
The Polk County Sheriff's Office says an unknown suspect went into a home on Babson Drive on Friday, sometime between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m.
The crooks stole a gun safe with 14 rifles as well as a suitcase with 50 handguns.
"Somebody broke a window of the house," Polk County Sheriff's Office Spokesperson Carrie Horstman told WFLA.
The victim is a gunsmith.
"He works on guns, he assembles them. I'm not sure what the law is on storing stuff like, that but they were stored in suitcases in his home," Horstman said.
An Xbox game console, camera and cash were also stolen.
"It's too close to home. We live just down the road. We're gun owners ourselves. We always get a little anxious when there's crime near the household," neighbor Jack Cooper said.
Investigators have spoken with the victim about if he knew anyone that would target his home.
"We always interview our victims and see if they had any idea that this would happen to them, or if they think anybody they know would do this, he doesn't. But anything is possible," Horstman said.
"The biggest concern is those guns can get into the hands of people who shouldn't have guns. We just worked a shooting last week where a convicted felon was in possession of a firearm. We don't want guns to get to the hands of the wrong people," Horstman said.
Anyone with information is asked to call Heartland Crime Stoppers at 1-800-226-TIPS.
- Mystery: Man found near Pasco intersection dies from injuries
- Thousands of old photos of Tampa released to public
- Monkey business: Ocala man says primates swarm his property
- Search underway for Pasco man accused of hitting woman with baseball bat
- PHOTO: Huge rattlesnake spotted near Bartow
- Alligator attack caught on camera
- Unborn baby and woman killed, several injured in shooting at gender reveal party
- Hundreds gather to remember teen beating victim in Lake Wales
- Pinellas Park police arrest man for video voyeurism, recorded victims in bathrooms of his workplace
- FHP: Drunk driver drinks 8 rum shots, slams into Spring Hill mail boxes before running off
- Reward being offered for info leading to arrest in rash of Hernando high school bomb threats