HERNANDO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) - A driver was critically injured after they turned in front of a school bus Friday, causing a crash, troopers said.
The incident occurred at the intersection of McKethan Rd and Cortez Blvd. in Ridge Manor.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the victim was traveling west on Cortez Boulevard in the left turn lane, approaching a solid green traffic signal at McKethan Road, when the person traveled in front of the bus traveling east on the road.
Highway officials said the vehicle and a bus carrying 20 students from Springstead High School were on Cortez Blvd traveling in opposite directions. The driver failed to notice the bus approaching the intersection and turned left into its path and hit the bus head-on. Officials said the driver did not have a solid green traffic arrow, only a solid green signal.
One child on board the bus suffered a minor injury.
The driver was transported to Bayonet Point.STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- LIST: Sam's Club to close store in South Tampa, more locations across country
- FHP: Drunk woman hit cars on I-4, urinated on roadside, let boy, 2, wander toward traffic
- Deadly strain of flu hits Florida
- Good Samaritan shocked that hospital patient was discharged in gown, socks on cold winter night
- Bear attacks man outside Naples apartment
- Theme park deals for Floridians at Disney, Universal, Legoland, Busch Gardens
- Woman returns 'dead' Christmas tree to Costco in Jan. for full refund
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Crews battle cow pasture fire in Thonotosassa
- MLK Jr.'s grandchild: I dream of gun-free world
- Missing Child Alert issued for 2 Florida toddlers
- Rubio says protesters must find common ground with gun rights supporters