MANATEE COUNTY, FL. (WFLA) - Jose Caballero was sentenced to two and a half years in prison Monday for having sex on the beach.
It was the case that caught headlines around the world. The story about the incident went viral online. In July 2014, Caballero, 40, and his 20-year-old girlfriend, Elissa Alvarez were spotted having sex on the sand at Cortez Beach in full view of other patrons.
A great-grandmother grabbed her iPhone and began recording. She said even her 4-year-old grandchild saw it. A Manatee County jury found the two guilty of lewd and lascivious behavior.
In May, Alvarez was sentenced to time served. Caballero has a prior criminal record. He has been previously arrested for driving on suspended driver's license and drug charges. Caballero was sentenced to two and a half years in prison Monday.
Both Caballero and Alvarez will have to register as sex offenders.MORE FROM WFLA.COM:
- Fire destroys businesses at Largo shopping center
- Storm causes damage, power outages in Plant City
- Pet food maker Stella & Chewy's recalls some products
- Seminole woman drives her vehicle into her home
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Russia votes to hand Vladimir Putin 4th presidential term
- Cirque du Soleil acrobat falls during performance in Tampa; rest of show canceled
- 5 hospitalized after van slams into fire engine
- Missing teen, 45-year-old man located in Mexico