TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) -- When it's time to start losing weight and eating healthy, experts say don't use the "D" word.
"The best to do it is not thinking of it as a diet," says health, fitness and nutrition expert Skye Sankey.
Sanky says one of the first ways to get started with eating better is meal prepping. For newbies, it may be intimidating.
"A simple start to meal prep would be crock pot recipes," says Sankey. They don't have to be anything elaborate. She says you can start with something as simple as chicken, rice and broccoli.
"It seems so basic, but you throw it all in a crock pot and you have quite a few meals for days."
If that's still too much, there are several local Tampa Bay area companies that sell pre-made meals that you can order for the week.
If you're someone who likes to eat out every now and then remember, the chef can be your friend!
"When you order chicken or fish, when they broil or bake it you can ask them instead of using butter, they can use lemon juice," Sanky suggests.
Just because you want to substitute for something healthier, there are still delicious options. Instead of fries, try sweet potato fries, or a baked potato.
And, guess what? It is okay to cheat!
"It didn't take you one day to get skinny, it's not going to take one day to blow up," says Sankey.
Just try to keep the cheats to once a week. The key is to figure out what you're craving so you can find healthy alternatives to fill you up and satisfy you.
Check out these other helpful Life Hacks-
- Life Hacks: How to make pizza, brownies and more in your crock pot
- Life Hacks: You will love these suitcase-packing tips for a stress-free trip
- Life Hacks: Best ways to keep your cell phone germ free
- Life Hacks: How to get your pet to do what you want
- Life Hacks: How to organize your vehicle like a pro
- Life Hacks: Household items can fix makeup emergencies
- Life Hacks: Farmhouse wall art for under $10
- Life Hacks: Easy ways to stay hydrated and get a good night's sleep
- Life Hacks: Easy cleaning tricks for your home
- Life Hacks: Selling your stuff to get extra cash
- Life Hacks: Countless uses for old coffee grounds
- Life Hacks: Boosting your immunity to prevent the flu
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- How to tell when it's time to save or salvage damaged plants
- 10 homes damaged by high winds in Ruskin
- Polk school board to vote on school safety plan
- Missing Wesley Chapel boy, 12, found safe