WFLA Web Staff - TAMPA, FL (WFLA) -- The suspect in a deputy-involved shooting that occurred overnight in Tampa has died, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office says.
The incident happened at 14889 Swallow Tail Court inside the Windwood Oaks Apartments in North Tampa. Deputies say they went to the apartment complex around 10:45 p.m. Tuesday night after reports of a man yelling and screaming while waving a gun.
When they arrived, 27-year-old Jeffery Casale was outside screaming and waving what appeared to be a semi-automatic handgun. Deputies instructed Casale to drop his weapon numerous times via a patrol vehicle PA system and a Crisis Intervention Deputy tried to verbally calm him.
According to the Sheriff's Office, Casale remained extremely agitated and rapidly advanced upon the four deputies while pointing his firearms at them. At this point, the deputies feared for the lives and were forced to open fire hitting Casale in the upper body, the Sheriff's Office report states.
He was taken to the hospital where he died.
No deputies were injured in the shooting.
The deputies involved are placed on routine administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
- Bloods gang member arrested after traffic stop leads to gun, drug bust
- Deputies stop wrong-way driver with history of arrests
- Polk deputies investigating suspicious incident; man approached 11-year-old girl
- Man shot, killed by deputies outside Tampa apartment complex
- Robbers point gun at toddler, enraged Florida grandmother goes on attack
- SEE IT: Car nearly crashes into California TV reporter while on air
- SeaWorld whale that killed trainer now very sick with lung infection