HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – The Hillsborough County School District is dealing with dozens of cases of norovirus, but none so badly as Lowry Elementary School.
More than 100 students and some faculty members were reported sick, officials said.
Cathy Laquinto had to bring her granddaughter, Mallory, to school, because Mallory's mother, a teacher at Lowry Elementary School, is sick.
The family has spent the last couple of days resting and re-hydrating.
"A lot of hand sanitizer and Lysol," Laquinto said.
Hillsborough County Health Department public information officer Steve Huard says Lowry Elementary has a couple of confirmed cases and over 100 probable cases.
Parents have been notified multiple times and are reminded to keep their children home if they are sick. Children should feel symptom-free for 48 hours before returning to school, according to Hillsborough County Public Schools Public Information Officer Tanya Arja.
Arja said the school has been cleaned three times, including Wednesday night.
"You're in one crowded space," Laquinto said. "You're in a school. There's nothing you can do. It's going to happen wherever you go. Doesn't matter."
News Channel 8 talked to Dr. Jill Hectman who agreed that the norovirus is easily spread in close quarters like schools, nursing homes and cruise ships.
If someone is sick, she suggests lots of rest and fluids like water and Gatorade.STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON –
- Two-car crash in Tampa causes traffic delays
- How Florida fares for working moms
- FHP: Pasco mother crashed SUV driving drunk, good Samaritan tried to stop her
- Pasco sheriff in contact with person of interest in attempted abduction of 9-year-old girl
- Officer named in Tarpon Springs shooting death, but questions remain
- Florida woman dropped, dragged into pool by teens having loud pool party
- You Paid For It: $73 million for Hillsborough foster care not enough to cure violence
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Maryland school on lockdown following report of shooting
- MOSI introduces new driverless shuttle
- Florida baby OK after thief steals car from gas station
- Murder charge for Polk boy, 16, accused of beating friend to death with baseball bat