TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Florida legislators are close to ending their annual session after approving an $89 billion budget.
The Florida Legislature approved the new budget during a rare Sunday session.
Legislators extended their session because they were unable to finish work on the budget in time. Florida has a 72-hour “cooling off period” to make sure everyone can read the budget before the final vote.
The 60-day session was supposed to end Friday. Legislators got bogged down during budget negotiations while they spent hours debating and working on a comprehensive gun and school safety bill.
The new budget includes increased funding for public schools and sets aside $100 million for Florida’s land preservation program.
Scott signs private school voucher plan
Record year of manatee deaths
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Co-owners of Orlando bar dead in murder-suicide
- Pinellas County lieutenant fired after DUI arrest
- Trump claims political bias in Russia probe
- Mother pleads with thieves to return son's stolen ashes