RIVERA BEACH, Fla. (WFLA) - A Hoverboard was being blamed for starting a fire in a Rivera Beach home.
Cheryl Wade said her family escaped when her granddaughter's hoverboard caught fire while it was charging. She said if she didn't close the door to the bedroom, the fire would have been much worse.
"Late tonight, my granddaughter decided she wanted to charge her hoverboard. She plugged it in and about 10 minutes later, it just started smoking. I couldn't believe it, and I can understand how people can die in fires. It started so quickly, it just spread so quickly. We were trapped in a room, because where it was charging at, it was right by the door.
Now the 10 family members are staying at a hotel.
Wade said she had heard warning about the toy, but never thought it would happen to them.
Hoverboards were recalled last year because the lithium batteries can overheat and explode.STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- WATCH: Woman comes face-to-face with intruder in St. Pete home
- Cops: Teacher finds daughter at Lake Wales home, puts 17-year-old boy in chokehold
- Fitness blogger dies after reportedly being hit in chest by exploding whipped cream canister
- Bystanders tried to save Dallas children, 17, 12, who drowned in Tampa hotel pool
- Florida family escapes after hoverboard catches home on fire
- JCPenney aims to hire 400 workers throughout Tampa Bay
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Pediatric prom night held for patients at Tampa General Hospital
- Harley-Davidson wants interns to ride, document experience
- About 2,500 mourners pay respects to Barbara Bush at viewing
- SunTrust says ex-employee may have tried to steal customer data