WFLA Web Staff - This morning, Atlas V successfully launched from Cape Canaveral. The aftermath of the launch lit up the sky of Tampa Bay during the 6 a.m. hour. Many people reached out to News Channel 8 wondering what the light in the sky was.
The launch happened at 6:18 a.m. from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. The rocket is carrying the MUOS-4 satellite. According to Kennedy Space Center, the MUOS-4, or Mobile User Objective System, is the fourth in a series of U.S. Navy next-generation satellite systems for ground communications of U.S. forces on the move. The launch was originally scheduled for 5:59 a.m.
The rocket launch was seen from areas all around Tampa Bay.SEE PHOTOS: Atlas V rocket launch lights up Tampa Bay sky
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Pink flamingo raft floats down Los Angeles River in social media stunt
- Tampa mother speaks after son almost dies when sinus infection spreads to brain
- Mother of Lake Wales murder victim speaks about son's brutal beating
- Real cops warning of fake cops demanding money in Pinellas County