Former Bucs cheerleader on 'The Voice' - WFLA News Channel 8

Former Bucs cheerleader on 'The Voice'

A former Tampa Bay Buccaneers cheerleader is getting her next chance in the spotlight on NBC's "The Voice."

The R&B singer Donna Allen, 54, grew up in Tampa and now lives in Hollywood, Fla. Allen spent nine years working with Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine.  About 25 years later, she's the oldest contestant on NBC's hit singing competition show.

Monday night on NBC, Allen talked about her experience with Estefan.

"I've learned so much from her," she said.

Allen stopped touring to raise her son Marcus, because she wanted to see him take his first steps and watch him go to school. But a family did not stop her love of music.

"I did sing while I was raising my son," Allen said. "So, I never gave up on myself."

Her son, Marcus, is thrilled for his mother's next step.

"It's nice to see you're finally getting on the next level," he said.

Monday night, she impressed judges Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera with her rendition of "You Are So Beautiful."

Seconds into her performance, both Levine and Aguilera signaled they wanted Allen for their singing competition teams.  Both showered Allen with compliments in hopes she would pick them.

"You are so beautiful to me," Christina Aguilera said. "That voice was like the heavens opening up. I hope your journey is with me."

Adam Levine compared her to Whitney Houston and Tina Turner.

"I felt like we were at the end of the season. I want you on my team," said Levine.

After a few tense moments, Allen picked Levine to be her coach on "The Voice" and leapt into his arms when he hugged her.

"I'm hoping ‘The Voice' will help me complete my journey," Allen said. "It's been 25 years. I've waited long enough. This is for me and my son."

You can watch "The Voice" on Mondays and Tuesdays at 8:00 p.m. on WFLA NewsChannel 8.

CLICK ON THE COACH TO SEE THEIR TEAM

• 8 On Your SideMore>>

Frightened neighbors voice concerns about Pasco mental health ALF

Friday, August 22 2014 6:01 PM EDT2014-08-22 22:01:54 GMT
    In the middle of a New Port Richey subdivision on Langston Ave. white iron gates lead to a large compound surrounded by barbed wire fences. Inside there is a swimming pool, parking lotand several buildings that formerly served as the neighborhood HOA community center.

Bradenton apartment complex to be repaired after 8 On Your Side report

Friday, August 22 2014 4:47 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:47:05 GMT
    Last week, 8 on your side showed you some of the dilapidated conditions inside some units at the Townhouse Park Apartments in Bradenton.Tenants were having problems with mold and rodents.There was also water damage.

2.2 million bean bag chairs recalled after deaths

Friday, August 22 2014 11:01 AM EDT2014-08-22 15:01:24 GMT
    About 2.2 million bean bag chairs are being recalled after two children opened them, crawled inside and suffocated to death. CPSC photoAbout 2.2 million bean bag chairs are being recalled after two children opened them, crawled inside and suffocated to death. CPSC photo

Tampa Police arrest man for murder outside nightclub

Friday, August 22 2014 11:04 PM EDT2014-08-23 03:04:54 GMT
    Tampa Police have arrested 27-year-old Edgardo Molina of Tampa for a murder outside Club Underground in downtown Tampa early Thursday morning.

I-75 NB reopens in Manatee County after deadly accident

Friday, August 22 2014 10:52 PM EDT2014-08-23 02:52:10 GMT
    Deadly crash in Manatee County.Deadly crash in Manatee County.
    Florida Highway Patrol troopers reopened I-75 in Manatee County after a deadly accident shutdown the northbound lanes early Friday evening.

A Sarasota high school remembers slain varsity cheerleader

Friday, August 22 2014 10:49 PM EDT2014-08-23 02:49:47 GMT
    It was hard to tell that the team colors of Riverview High School in Sarasota County were maroon and gray Friday night.Most of the crowd was wearing blue.“Her favorite color was blue,” said varsity cheerleader Devyn Kelly. Kelly is talking about fellow cheerleader Teria'le Rawls who was gunned down almost four weeks ago.
  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

* denotes required fields

Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.