Former Bucs cheerleader on 'The Voice' - WFLA News Channel 8

Former Bucs cheerleader on 'The Voice'

A former Tampa Bay Buccaneers cheerleader is getting her next chance in the spotlight on NBC's "The Voice."

The R&B singer Donna Allen, 54, grew up in Tampa and now lives in Hollywood, Fla. Allen spent nine years working with Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine.  About 25 years later, she's the oldest contestant on NBC's hit singing competition show.

Monday night on NBC, Allen talked about her experience with Estefan.

"I've learned so much from her," she said.

Allen stopped touring to raise her son Marcus, because she wanted to see him take his first steps and watch him go to school. But a family did not stop her love of music.

"I did sing while I was raising my son," Allen said. "So, I never gave up on myself."

Her son, Marcus, is thrilled for his mother's next step.

"It's nice to see you're finally getting on the next level," he said.

Monday night, she impressed judges Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera with her rendition of "You Are So Beautiful."

Seconds into her performance, both Levine and Aguilera signaled they wanted Allen for their singing competition teams.  Both showered Allen with compliments in hopes she would pick them.

"You are so beautiful to me," Christina Aguilera said. "That voice was like the heavens opening up. I hope your journey is with me."

Adam Levine compared her to Whitney Houston and Tina Turner.

"I felt like we were at the end of the season. I want you on my team," said Levine.

After a few tense moments, Allen picked Levine to be her coach on "The Voice" and leapt into his arms when he hugged her.

"I'm hoping ‘The Voice' will help me complete my journey," Allen said. "It's been 25 years. I've waited long enough. This is for me and my son."

You can watch "The Voice" on Mondays and Tuesdays at 8:00 p.m. on WFLA NewsChannel 8.

CLICK ON THE COACH TO SEE THEIR TEAM

Hillsborough deputies identify body found

Monday, September 15 2014 5:36 AM EDT2014-09-15 09:36:33 GMT
    Octavio Reyes' family membersOctavio Reyes' family members
    When Hillsborough County sheriff's deputies told Rosario Reyes her husband was dead, her first thought was "How will I explain this to my youngest children?"

Sarasota man in critical condition following early morning assault

Monday, September 15 2014 5:18 AM EDT2014-09-15 09:18:26 GMT
    Calvin Joseph White, 24, is being held without bond at the Sarasota County Jail. Calvin Joseph White, 24, is being held without bond at the Sarasota County Jail.
    A convicted felon is behind bars charged with attempted second-degree murder following an incident early Saturday morning in Sarasota.A 24-year-old man was airlifted to a nearby hospital where he is listed in critical condition. Joseph Viqueira suffered at least one stab wound to the chest.

5-year-old Tampa golfer gives pro tips on national TV

Monday, September 15 2014 4:58 AM EDT2014-09-15 08:58:32 GMT
    A little lady from Tampa featured on The Steve Harvey Show is just 5 years old.
    A little lady from Tampa featured on The Steve Harvey Show is just 5 years old.
  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

* denotes required fields

Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Restaurant Ratings Most Violations: Sept. 1 - 6

Friday, September 12 2014 6:57 PM EDT2014-09-12 22:57:17 GMT
    Ever wonder what goes on in the kitchen of your favorite restaurants? We've gathered details about the 30 Tampa Bay restaurants that received the most violations during inspections conducted from September 1 to 6, 2014.

Beware of venomous puss caterpillars found in Florida

Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:00 PM EDT2014-09-02 22:00:52 GMT
    Puss caterpillar (Photo: University of Florida)Puss caterpillar (Photo: University of Florida)
    The may look fluffy and cute, but these caterpillars are anything but. Under all that fur on the puss caterpillar are venomous bristles that break off into the skin when touched by humans and cause serious pain.

Hillsborough deputies identify body found