Capitol News Service - TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (Capitol News Service) - More than 39,000 people were injured in Florida last year after being involved in a distracted driving crash. April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month.
There were more than 45,000 crashes caused by distracted drivers last year in Florida. 214 people died. Of the dead, 198 were drivers.
Sgt. Kim Montes, FHP Spokesperson, says one death is one too many.
"We know that the numbers don't actually reflect what's going on out there because more people are doing it. It's hard to prove in a lot of these crashes" says Montes.
We saw dozens of people texting in a 45-minute drive around the state capitol, but catching them on camera was difficult.
The good news: We saw a lot more hands on steering wheels than on cell phones.
One in seven drivers admitted to Virginia tech researchers to texting while driving. 46 percent of the 16 and 17-year old's say they text behind the wheel. Nearly half, 48 percent of 18 to 24-year-olds admit to violating anti-texting laws.
"They don't think it's that big of a deal," says Montes, "until an emergency happens. Until that car pulls out in front of you; a motorcycle pulls out in front of you."
Five texting bills, including primary enforcement, were introduced in the 2016 legislative session. Not one of them got a hearing.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Florida man who killed wife, kids had history of domestic violence, records show
- Recordings shed light in case of teens who died when stolen car plunged into pond
- 'Everybody Loves Raymond' actress Doris Roberts dead at 90
- Dead man's bedsores exposed bones, hadn't been to doctor in 4 years
- Major changes coming to Walt Disney World for the summer
- Cup of coffee leads to smashed, stolen car in St. Pete
- Couple in Tampa engagement photo located, gets surprise photo session
- Rent Due: Florida landlord fatally shoots tenant over $550
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Police wrangle goats after lawn job goes awry
- Man on boat during fatal jet ski crash in Clearwater speaks out
- Noor Salman trial: She said 'I knew,' FBI agent testifies
- 2 dead, 1 injured in shooting, stabbing, arson in Riverview